Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2007

A Homeschooling Update

Well, after nearly all of the first semester of schooling here at home, we have all come to a monumental decision.....we are not meant to be a homeschooling family.

I am a little disappointed that this isn't working out. Some would probably say I haven't given it enough time, but I have to admit that I am just not cut out for schooling all of my kids at the same time. The past three and a half months have been the most stressful and tension-filled time our family has ever experienced. After lots of thought and talk and tears and yelling and frustration and exasperation and much crying out for God's help and patience, Adam and I felt like it was wise to put the kids back in regular public school, which we did a couple of weeks ago. The atmoshpere in our home has changed dramatically ever since.


I had to let go of the unrealistic expectations I had of how homeschooling would be. I had a picture in my head of what I thought it would be like and reality was vastly different!

While the whole experience was very trying and full of frustration, it wasn't all horrible. I learned a lot about how my kids think and learn. They are all so individual and so remarkable. I also saw more of a reflection of myself in my kids than I ever wanted to. My son, Mr. Meticulous, is more like me than I had ever realized. We think and learn very similarly, and while in some ways it's helped me understand him better, it has also been the source of an impressive amount of frustration and clashing with each other.

So I am retiring my desire to be the ultimate homeschooling mother of 4, choosing instead to focus again on the things that matter most like the spiritual education of my children's hearts.

Thanks for all of your prayers. I am quite sure they are the sole reason I actually still have an entire head full of hair today!

(I love my kids, but I can't wait for Monday!......)

No comments: