Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Go Eagles!

Chickybabe has decided to try her hand at volleyball this year as Harrisburg doesn't offer her beloved soccer. (Lack of coaches or interest from the students) I've been suggesting she try volleyball for a couple years now because I had a feeling that she would really like it if she would just try it. And she does.

Practicing hard since the day before school started, she is steadily getting better and better. The coaches have been working with the girls and evaluating them to see which teams they would be on (A or B- with A being like varsity and B as JV). Chicky had to perform or try out and get scored on her skills last week and found out she barely missed making it to A team. She was disappointed in the results (because all of her fellow 8th grade buddies made it to A team), but after a good cry, a talk with the coaches who said if she showed enough improvement they would consider bumping her to A team and talk with me, she seems to have come to grips with the decision.

She had her first game of the season last night against the Cottage Grove Tigers. Though the B team didn't win, it wasn't for lack of trying. She worked very hard and did a wonderful job of giving it her all. A few great serves and really nice saves later, she says to me "I think that was the best I've ever played. I hope the coaches see that too, but I also think I could be a really great help to the B team, so I'm ok if they don't move me up." *sigh* Maturity peeking it's head.

Here's some shots I snapped of her in action:

appointed team captain for first game :)


the mighty Miller's serve





"YES!"  nice point, Chicky!

 a little team chat mid-game


I apologize for the blurriness of my picture taking abilities. I will have 7 more games to figure it out :)  Hopefully, the next set of pics will be much better.

No comments: